Document Type : Original Article
Associate Professor , Department of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Resident of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry , Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Associate Professor. Department of Pediatric Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
General Dentist, School of Dentistry, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Aim: The present study was designed to investigate the degree of achievement of the educational goals of Mashhad Dental School's educational program from the perspective of basic sciences students in the academic year 2018-2019. By examining the current situation, it is possible to improve the educational quality of the program.
Methods: To measure the achievement of educational goals, a checklist and a questionnaire were prepared based on the educational headings in the dental education regulations approved by the Ministry of Health and Medical Education and approved by the school of Dentistry. After classification, the desired information was evaluated descriptively using SPSS-20 software and the chi-square statistical test.
Results: Significant differences did not exist between the two sexes regarding the achieved goals, except for the dental material basics course. The achieved goals were not significantly different between the students with “A “average score and other students in any of the courses. Also, significant differences were not found in any courses in the realized goals between students with different interests in the field of dentistry.
Conclusion: Fulfillment of educational goals is lower in the less applicable courses for the field of dentistry in the basic sciences, which indicates the necessity of curriculum revision to achieve higher quality education.
- Ansari Moghadam S, Shokoohinia R, Hosseini Tabatabaei S, Risbaf Fakour S, Ansari Moghaddam A, Naebi M. Evaluation of the achievement of educational objectives in restorative dentistry and periodontics departments in Zahedan Faculty of Dentistry during 2014-2015. J Mashhad Dent Sch. 2017;41(2):91-106. doi: 10.22038/JMDS.2017.8611.
- Bazargani A. Educational symbols system and it's usage on university efficiency analysis. J Educ Teh. 1993;16:9-10.
- Boynes SG, Lemak AL, Close JM. General dentists’ evaluation of anesthesia sedation education in US dental schools. J Dent Educ. 2006;70(12):1289-93. PMID: 17170318.
- Davis MH, Harden RM. Planning and implementing an undergraduate medical curriculum: the lessons learned. Med Teach. 2003;25(6):596-608. doi: 10.10 80/0142159032000144383. PMID: 15369907.
- Henzi D, Davis E, Jasinevicius R, Hendricson W. In the students’ own words: what are the strengths and weaknesses of the dental school curriculum? J Dent Educ. 2007;71(5):632-45. PMID: 17493972.
- Levine R. Experience, skill and knowledge gained by newly qualified dentists during their first year of general practice. Br Dent J. 1992;172(3):97-102. doi:10.1038/sj.bdj.4807784. PMID: 1739514.
- Khamverdi Z. Kasraee Sh. Rostamzadeh T. Yekta H. Educational objectives achieved by department of operative dentistry: Viewpoints of general dentists graduated from Hamedan Dental School (2004-2009). IJME. 2012;12(5):387-95.
- Ramezani GH, Valaei N, Basaghzadeh M, Fakhre attar A, Mehrshadian M, Haraji A, Rezaei M, KHajavikhan A.Evaluation of realization rate of under curriculum at Tehran’s university's school of dentistry from 2001-2005. J Res Dent Sci. 2010;7(2):20-6.
- Pakdaman A, Soleimani Shayesteh Y, Kharazi fard M, Kabosi R. Evaluation of the achievement of educational objectives of the Community Oral Health and Periodontics Departments using the CIPP model of evaluation–students' perspective. J Dent Med. 2011; 24(1):20-5.
- Richard W. Educational evaluation: Basics of measurement capability and App review. Tehran: Markaz Nashr Daneshgahi; 1996.
- Torkzaban P, Kadkhodazadeh M, Seyedzadeh Sabounchi S, Soltanian A. Achievement of Educational Objectives by Senior Dental Students at the Department of Periodontology. J Med Educ Dev. 2016;9(23): 1-9.
- Fattahi H, Bazrafkan L, HasanLi E, Rad AB. The viewpoints of dental students of Shiraz toward the amount of their achievement to learning objectives in different courses of orthodontics. IJME. 2010;9(3): 249-62.
- Tabari M, Nourali Z, Khafri S, Gharekhani S, Jahanian I. Evaluation of educational programs of pediatrics, orthodontics and restorative departments of babol dental school from the perspective of the students based on the CIPP model. Caspian J Dent Res. 2016;5(2):8-16.
- Ebrahimi S, Shayegh SS, Hakimaneh SMR. Comparison of achievement of educational objectives in prosthodontics department of Shahed Dental School according to approved 2001 and 2013 curricula. Daneshvar Med. 2020;27(5):9-16.
- Gharaei SH, Kargoza S, Amirchakhmaghi M, Gholami H. Students’ viewpoints of Mashhad Dental School about educational problems a qualitative study. Educ Strategy Med Sci. 2015;8(2):123-30.
- Siabani S, Moradi MR, Siabani H, Rezaei M, Siabani S, Amolaei K, et al. Students’ view points on the educational problems in medical school of Kerman-shah University of Medcial Sciences (2007). J Kermanshah Univ Med Sci. 2009;13(2):162-71.
- Zafarghandi N, Davati A, Ghurchian M, Sadat Bateni F, Hadavand S. Necessity of medical education amendment in Shahed University according to educators and students viewpoints. Daneshvar Med. 2011;19(1):63-8.
- Khosravi S, Khadivi R. The viewpoints of interns and clerkship students about community medicine course. Iranian journal of medical education. IJME. 2004;4(2): 123-8.
- Davati A, Aghaee M, Kamali M, Gitinavard F, Ramezani F, Andalibi N. Students, view points on internship community medicine course in Tehran medical universities. IJME. 2011;11(4):347-55.
- Alipour Haydari M, Hasanzadeh GR, HajiSeied Javadi Z. Attitude of dentistry students at clinical sections of Qazvin Medical University towards the application of basic sciences courses. J Inflamm Dis. 2002;6(2):38-42.
- Ahangari Z, Rahmani M, Sohrabi Z, Kharazifard M. Dental curriculum according to views of the graduates of dental schools of the country during the last 5 years. JDS. 2010;28(2):80-7.