Document Type : Review article
Associate Professor, Department of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, Tehran University of Medical Sciences,Tehran, Iran
Associate Professor, Department of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Post-Graduate Student, Departments of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Background and Objective: Palatal expansion can be done with tooth-borne and bone-borne appliances; Bone maturity is one of the factors required placing a mini-screw in the palate for expansion. Expansion with bone-based appliance also has two dental and skeletal responses; Part of the skeletal response can be to increase the size of the airway. The present study evaluates the effect of Miniscrew-assisted palatal expansion on airway volume.
Methods: Search was conducted for articles published between January 2010 to January 2021 in PubMed, Embase, Google Scholar, and Cochrane using the following inclusion criteria: 1) patients whose treatment with Miniscrew-assisted palatal expansion and who with transverse discrepancy 2) all languages, 3) Randomized clinical trials (RCTs) or non-randomized clinical trials (Non-RCTs) and retrospective studies were considered.
Results: Of the 123 studies on miniscrew-assisted palatal expansion, only 7 studies clinically evaluated the effect of miniscrew-assisted palatal expansion on airway dimensions. The results of studies show that the miniscrew-assisted palatal expansion increasing airway dimensions; so that, increased nasal cavity volume and nasopharyngeal volume have been observed following this treatment. However, studies have shown that this approch does not effect on oropharyngeal, palatopharyngeal, glossopharyngeal and posterior areas.
Conclusion: The results of the study demonstrated that Miniscrew-assisted palatal expansion is an effective and efficient treatment in increasing airway dimensions via its increasing nasal cavity and nasopharynx volume.
- Bell RA. A review of maxillary expansion in relation to rate of expansion and patient's age. American journal of orthodontics. 1982 Jan 1;81(1):32-7.
- Topal R, Arslan SG. The maxillary expansion procedures, the types, and the root resorption analysis methods. International Dental Research. 2019 Dec 31;9(3):145-51.
- Krüsi M, Eliades T, Papageorgiou SN. Are there benefits from using bone-borne maxillary expansion instead of tooth-borne maxillary expansion? A systematic review with meta-analysis. Progress in orthodontics. 2019 Dec;20(1):1-2.
- Agarwal A, Mathur R. Maxillary expansion. International journal of clinical pediatric dentistry. 2010 Sep;3(3):139.
- Huang WJ, Creath CJ. The midline diastema: a review of its etiology and treatment. Pediatric dentistry. 1995 Jun;17:171-.
- Gray LP. Results of 310 cases of rapid maxillary expansion selected for medical reasons. J Laryngol Otol. 1975 Jun;89(6):601–614.
- Lee KJ, Choi SH, Choi TH, Shi KK, Keum BT. Maxillary transverse expansion in adults: Rationale, appliance design, and treatment outcomes. InSeminars in Orthodontics 2018 Mar 1 (Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 52-65). WB Saunders. M
- de Silva Fo OG, Boas CV, Capelozza LF. Rapid maxillary expansion in the primary and mixed dentitions: a cephalometric evaluation. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. 1991 Aug 1;100(2):171-9.
- Moon W. Maxillary Expansion in Skeletally Mature Patients with TADs. Temporary Anchorage Devices in Clinical Orthodontics. 2020 Apr 6:223-32.
- Vale F, Albergaria M, Carrilho E, Francisco I, Guimarães A, Caramelo F, Maló L. Efficacy of rapid maxillary expansion in the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome: a systematic review with meta-analysis. Journal of Evidence Based Dental Practice. 2017 Sep 1;17(3):159-68.
- Mirhashemi AH, Arab S, Bahrami R. Orthodontics as a therapeutic tool for managing sleep apnea: A review. Journal of Craniomaxillofacial Research. 2020 Oct 3:50-61.
- Capalbo LC, Dal-Fabbro R, de Albuquerque Donine AL, Saraiva JS, Bigliazzi R, Weber SA, Bertoz AP. Rapid maxillary expansion as a treatment for obstructive sleep apnea syndrome in children and adolescents: an evaluation by polysomnography and quality of life. Research, Society and Development. 2021 Feb 27;10(2):e52710212825-.
- Amaddeo A, Griffon L, Thierry B, Couloigner V, Joly A, Galliani E, Arnaud E, Khirani S, Fauroux B. Obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSA) in adolescents: therapeutic management. Journal of Dentofacial Anomalies and Orthodontics. 2018 Jan 1;21(1):107.
- Cunha AC, Lee H, Nojima LI, Nojima MD, Lee KJ. Miniscrew-assisted rapid palatal expansion for managing arch perimeter in an adult patient. Dental press journal of orthodontics. 2017 Jun;22(3):97-108.
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (Great Britain). Methods for the development of NICE public health guidance. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence; 2012.
- Kim S-Y, Park Y-C, Lee K-J, Lintermann A, Han S-S, Yu H-S, et al. Assessment of changes in the nasal airway after nonsurgical miniscrew-assisted rapid maxillary expansion in young adults. The Angle Orthodontist. 2018;88(4):435-41.
- Li Q, Tang H, Liu X, Luo Q, Jiang Z, Martin D, et al. Comparison of dimensions and volume of upper airway before and after mini-implant assisted rapid maxillary expansion. The Angle Orthodontist. 2020;90(3):432-41.
- Kabalan O, Gordon J, Heo G, Lagravère MO. Nasal airway changes in bone-borne and tooth-borne rapid maxillary expansion treatments. International orthodontics. 2015;13(1):1-15.
- Jesus A, Oliveira C, Murata W, Gonçales E, Pereira-Filho V, Santos-Pinto A. Nasomaxillary effects of miniscrew-assisted rapid palatal expansion and two surgically assisted rapid palatal expansion approaches. International journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery. 2021.
- Calil RC, Ramirez CMM, Otazu A, Torres DM, de Araújo Gurgel J, Oliveira RC, et al. Maxillary dental and skeletal effects after treatment with self-ligating appliance and miniscrew-assisted rapid maxillary expansion. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. 2020.
- Park JJ, Park Y-C, Lee K-J, Cha J-Y, Tahk JH, Choi YJ. Skeletal and dentoalveolar changes after miniscrew-assisted rapid palatal expansion in young adults: a cone-beam computed tomography study. Korean J Orthod. 2017;47(2):77-86.
- Yi F, Liu S, Lei L, Liu O, Zhang L, Peng Q, et al. Changes of the upper airway and bone in microimplant-assisted rapid palatal expansion: A cone-beam computed tomography (CBCT) study. Journal of X-ray science and technology. 2020(Preprint):1-13.