Document Type : Original Article
Post Graduate Student of Orthodontics, Department of Orthodontics, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Associate Professor, Department of Orthodontics, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Assistant Professor, Department of Orthodontics, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Background: Determining the factors involved in selecting a specialist dentist from patient’s point of view helps dentists to improve the quality of their services and responds to patients' needs. Therefore, this study is aimed to determine the factors affecting the selection of an orthodontist by individuals.
Methods: In this study, 384 patients who had been referred to the orthodontist office participated. Individuals were interviewed separately using a questionnaire. Data were collected after completing the questionnaire and analyzed using SPSS software version 21.
Results: Findings revealed that the orthodontist's work experience and reputation among the patients (34.1%), their attention and explanation with details to patients (45.6%), referral through another dentist, friends or other patients (46.1%), the good behavior of the staff and the cleanliness of the office (58.1%), the use of non-extraction treatment based on each patient’s needs (47.9%) and having a payment plan and low cost of treatment (24.2%) were the most substantial issues and greatest priorities in the decision making process of patients.
Conclusion: Our findings indicated that some of the factors and priorities have a high impact on the selection of dentists. The knowledge of these priorities and reasons for patients to choose a dentist can be used in marketing strategies by dentists.
- Victoor A, Delnoij DM, Friele RD, Rademakers JJ. Determinants of patient choice of health care providers: a scoping review. BMC health serv res. 2012;12(1):1-16. doi: 10.1186/1472-6963-12-272.
- Clow KE, Fischer AK, Bryan DO. Patient expectations of dental services. J health Care Mark. 1995;15(3):23-31. PMID: 10152791.
- Iqbal M, Jameel A, Girach MM. Factors affecting patients' choice of dental services. Pakistan Oral Dent J. 2014;34(4).
- Huraib SB, Nahas N, Al-Balbeesi HO, Abu-Aljadayl FM, Vellappally S, Sukumaran A. Patient preferences in selecting a dentist: survey results from the urban population of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2015;16(3):201-4. doi:10.5005/jp-journals10024-1661. PMID: 26057918
- Souza-Constantino AM, Cláudia de Castro Ferreira Conti A, Capelloza Filho L, Marta SN, Rodrigues de Almeida Pedrin R. Patients' preferences regarding age, sex, and attire of orthodontists. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2018 Dec;154(6):829-834.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.ajodo.2018.02.013.PMID:30477781.
- Swami V, McClelland A, Bedi R, Furnham A. The influence of practitioner nationality, experience, and sex in shaping patient preferences for dentists. Int Dent J. 2011 Aug;61(4):193-8. doi: 10.1111/j.1875- 95X.2011.00056.x.PMID:21851350
- Bedair TM, Thompson S, Gupta C, Beck FM, Firestone AR. Orthodontists' opinions of factors affecting patients' choice of orthodontic practices. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2010 Jul;138(1):6.e1-7; discussion 6-7. doi: 10.1016/j.ajodo.2010.02.020.PMID: 20620820.
- Kamavaram Ellore VP, Mohammed M, Taranath M, Ramagoni NK, Kumar V, Gunjalli G. Children and parent's attitude and preferences of dentist's attire in pediatric dental practice. Int J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2015 May-Aug;8(2):102-7. doi: 10.5005/jp-journalsPMID: 26379376.
- Walley EK, Silberman SL, Tuncay OC. Patient and parent preferences for orthodontic practices. Clin Orthod Res. 1999 Aug;2(3):110-23. doi: 10.1111/ocr.1918.104.22.168. PMID: 10534986.
- Brosky ME, Keefer OA, Hodges JS, Pesun IJ, Cook G. Patient perceptions of professionalism in dentistry. J Dent Educ. 2003 Aug;67(8):909-15. PMID: 12959165.
- Walsh KC. Projecting your best professional image. Imprint. 1993 Nov-Dec;40(5):46-9. PMID: 8150475.
- Budny AM, Rogers LC, Mandracchia VJ, Lascher S. The physician's attire and its influence on patient confidence. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2006 Mar-Apr;96(2):132-8. doi: 10.7547/0960132.PMID:16546951.
- Nelson KL, Shroff B, Best AM, Lindauer SJ. Orthodontic marketing through social media networks: the patient and practitioner's perspective. Angle Orthod. 2015 Nov;85(6):1035-41. doi: 10.2319/110714-797.1. PMID: 25738740.
- Msyamboza KP, Ngwira B, Dzowela T, Mvula C, Kathyola D, Harries AD, Bowie C. The burden of selected chronic non-communicable diseases and their risk factors in Malawi: nationwide STEPS survey. PLoS One. 2011;6(5):e20316. doi: 10.1371/ PMID:21629735.
- Waltz CF, Bausell RB. Nursing research: Design, statistics, and computer analysis: FA Davis Company; 1981.
- Plichta SB, Kelvin EA, Munro BH. Munro's statistical methods for health care research: Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2013.
- Fleiss JL. Design and analysis of clinical experiments: John Wiley & Sons; 2011.
- Wilde BR. Assessment of orthodontic patients' preferences regarding treatment from general dentists or orthodontists. 2015.
- Kharazi M, Askari J. Assessment of the most important factors influencing physician choice. Hakim Res J. 2007;10(3):22-7.
- Toobaei SH, Dehbozorgi G. Patients’ expectations from internists, psychiatrists and surgeons. Hormozgan Med J. 2004; 8(1):41-7.