Document Type : Original Article
Department of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics, The Oxford Dental College, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
Aim: This study evaluated the effect of physical and chemical sterilization techniques on the fracture resistance of mini-implants.
Methods: Thirty-two titanium mini-implants of 1.5 x 8 mm were randomly divided into four groups: control, steam sterilized, dry heat sterilized, and chemically sterilized. The samples were then tested in the air for fracture resistance using a universal testing machine. A tangential load was applied to the head of the mini-implant with a 1 mm/min crosshead speed after blocking each of them in the machine. Also, the maximum load was recorded previous to screw fracture. he Kruskal-Wallis test and Mann-Whitney post hoc test were used for data analysis.
Results: The results of this study demonstrated the mean fracture resistance difference between the four groups was statistically significant at p<0.001. Moreover it was showed the control group had significantly higher mean fracture resistance compared to dry heat and chemically sterilized groups at p=0.001 and p=0.009 respectively. This was followed by the stem sterilized group demonstrating significantly higher mean fracture resistance as compared to dry heat and chemically sterilized groups at p=0.001 and p=0.01 respectively. Later, the chemically sterilized group also showed significantly higher mean fracture resistance as compared to the dry heat group at p=0.002. However, no significant difference was observed between the control and stem sterilized groups (p=0.29).
Conclusion: The steam sterilized group demonstrated the highest fracture resistance that was followed by the chemically sterilized group, and the least with the dry heat sterilized group.
- DH Zheng, FC Hou, YJ Zang & B Li. Effects of low-level laser therapy on orthodontic miniscrew stability: a systematic review. Eur J Med Res 2023 Jan 27;28(1):50. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36707888/.
- Loss T.F.A, Kitahara F.M.F, Silveira G.S. Fracture strength of orthodontic mini-implants. Dental Press J Orthod. May-June 2017;22(3):47-54. DOI: 1590/2177-6709.22.3.047-054.oar.
- SE Barros, G Janson, K Chiqueto, DG Garib, M Janson Effect of mini-implant diameter on fracture risk and self drilling efficacy. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2011 OCT; 14(4), 181-192. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih. gov/21967956/.
- Scribante A, Montasser M.A, Radwan E.S, Bernardinelli L, Alcozer R, Gandini P, et. al. Reliability of orthodontic miniscrews: bending and maximum load of different Ti-6Al-4V titanium and stainless-steel temporary anchorage devices (TADs). Materials (Basel) 2018 Jul; 11(7):1138. doi: 3390/ma11071138.
- Alavi S, Asadi F, Raji S.A, Samie S. Effect of steam and dry heat sterilization on the insertion and fracture torque of orthodontic miniscrews. Dent Res J (Isfahan) 2020 May 1;17(3):219. DOI:4103/1735-3327.284729
- Manni A, Cozzani M, Tamborrino F. Factors influencing the stability of miniscrews. A retrospective study on 300 miniscrews. Eur. J. Orthod. 2011; 33, 388–395. DOI: 1093/ejo/cjq090.
- Hergel C.A, Acar Y.B, Ateş M. In-vitro evaluation of the effects of insertion and sterilization procedures on the mechanical and surface characteristics of mini-screws. Eur.Oral.Res. 2019; 53(1): 25-31. doi: 26650/eor. 20197993.
- Lim S.A, Cha J.Y, Hwang C.J. Insertion Torque of Orthodontic Miniscrews According to Changes in Shape, Diameter and Length. Angle Orthod, 2008;78 (2), 234-240. DOI: 2319/121206-507.1.
- Alavi S, Mousavi S.M, Shirban F. Effect of Heat Sterilization on the Load/Deflection of Heat-activated Orthodontic Wires. Orthod. J. Nepal, December 2014; 4(2), 24-27. doi: 4103/1735-3327.104871.
- Yadav A, Jayaprakash P.K, Singh R, Dawer M, Modi P, Sehdev B, et. al. Impact of recycling on the mechanical properties of nickel-titanium alloy wires and the efficacy of their reuse after cold sterilization. J Orthod Sci 2020;9. DOI: 4103/jos.JOS_45_19.
- W Rerhrhaye, B Ouaki, F Zaoui, E Aalloula The effect of autoclave sterilization on the surface properties of orthodontic brackets after fitting in the mouth Odontostomatol Trop 2011 Dec;34(136):29-34. https:// ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22457990/.
- G Jasoria, W Shamim, S Rathore A Kalra, M Manchanda, N Jaggi. Miniscrew implants as temporary anchorage devices in orthodontics: A comprehensive review. J Contemp Dent Pract 2013 Sep 1;14(5):993-9. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24685811/.
- Brindha M, Kumaran N.K, Rajasigamani K. Evaluation of tensile strength and surface topography of orthodontic wires after infection control procedures: An in vitro study. J. Pharm. Bioallied Sci. July 2014;6(1),44-48. doi: 4103/0975-7406.137386.
- R Suresh, P Kalidas Effects of Autoclave Sterilization on the Surface Parameters and Mechanical Properties of Different Composition of Five Orthodontic Arch Wires – An in Vitro Study. J. Contemp. Dent 2020; 8(1), 36-42. https://sdbindex.com/Documents/index/00000325/00001-10286.
- A Ardeshna, K Chavan, A Prakasam Effectiveness of different sterilization methods on clinical orthodontic materials. J Indian Orthod Soc 2023 Apr; 57(2), 98-105. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/03015742221109026.
- Brown RN, Sexton BE. Comparison of stainless steel and titanium alloy orthodontic miniscrew implants: a mechanical and histologic analysis. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2014; 145:496–504. https:// ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24703288/.
- Z Gurdan, J Szalma. Evaluation of the success and complication rates of self-drilling orthodontic mini-implants. Niger J Clin Pract 2018 May;21(5):546-552. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29735852/.
- Yu WP, Yu JH, Wang SH & Hsu JT The Effects of Diameter, Length and Insertion Method on the Stability of Orthodontic Miniscrew. J. Med. Biol. Eng. 2022; 42, 508–515. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/ s40846-022-00737-0.
- Mattos C.T, Ruellas A.C, Sant'Anna E.F. Effect of autoclaving on the fracture torque of mini‐implants used for orthodontic anchorage. J Orthod 2011 Mar;38(1):15-20. DOI: 1179/14653121141200.
- Dalla Rosa F, Burmann P.F, Ruschel H.C. Evaluation of fracture torque resistance of orthodontic mini‑implants. Acta Odontol Latinoam 2016; 29:248‑54. https:// ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28383605/.
- BuckthalE, Kusy R.P Effects of cold disinfectants on the mechanical properties and the surface topography of nickel titanium arch wires. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1988 Aug;94(2):117-22. DOI: https://doi.org/ 10.1016/0889-5406(88)90359-9.
- Pop S.I, Bratu D.C, Chiorean R. Biochemical Characteristics of Mini-implants Sterilised by Different Chemical and Physical Procedures. Materiale Plastice, 2017; 54(2):253-256. https://revmaterialeplastice. ro/pdf/12%20POP%20IZABELA%202%2017.pdf.
- Adelson R.T, Defatta R.J, Ducic Y. Integrity of craniofacial plating systems after multiple sterilization procedures. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2007; 65: 940–44. DOI: 1016/j.joms.2005.12.059.
- Testarelli L, Gallottini L, Gambarini G. Mechanical properties of nickel‑titanium files following multiple heat sterilizations. Minerva Stomatol 2003; 52:169‑73. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12874524/.
- Silvaggio J, Hicks M.L. Effect of heat sterilization on the torsional properties of rotary nickel‑titanium endodontic files. J Endod 1997; 23:731‑4. DOI: 1016/ S0099-2399(97)80344-5.
- J E Buckthal, R P Kusy. Effects of cold disinfectants on the mechanical properties and the surface topography of nickel-titanium arch wires. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1988 Aug;94(2):117-22. https://pubmed.ncbi. nih.gov/3135743/.