Document Type : Original Article
Department of Orthodontics, Coorg Institute of Dental Sciences, Virajpet, Karnataka, India
Aim: Dental malocclusion and jaw misalignments are the foremost reasons for airway constriction. To facilitate anterior mandibular repositioning and the concomitant anterior positioning of the tongue can induce the expansion of the pharyngeal airway. The study aimed to compare comprehensive treatment outcomes of fixed and removable mandibular advancement appliances on the width of the pharyngeal airway space.
Methods: Twenty growing patients with skeletal Class II malocclusion were placed into two groups: Advansync2 and twin block. Patients were advised to use mandibular advancement appliances (MAA) for 9–12 months. Lateral cephalograms and the Epworth Sleepiness Scale (ESS) were evaluated to assess alterations in the pharyngeal airway space and quality of sleep at two intervals. The chi-square test, one-way ANOVA and Duncan’s post hoc test were used for statistical analysis. P-values<0.05 were considered as significant.
Results: Based on the results, only the change in PNS-V measurements indicated a significant difference between appliances. Advansync2 showed more change (0.70±2.45 mm) compared to twin block (-1.80±2.34 mm), indicating a statistically significant difference (p=0.032).
Conclusion: A significant reduction in the ESS score in both groups was observed without any significant differences between them.
- Sinha SP, Nayak KU, Soans CR, Murali PS, Shetty A, Ravi MS. Assessment of mandibular retrognathism and maxillary prognathism as contributory factors for skeletal Class II malocclusion: a cephalometric study. Int J Oral Health Sci. 2018;8: 99–103.
- Cacciatore G, Ugolini A, Sforza C, Gbinigie O, Plüddemann A. Long-term effects of functional appliances in treated versus untreated patients with Class II malocclusion: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PloS One. 2019 Sep 6;14(9), e0221624.
- Shafaee, H., Mazloumhoseini, B., Bardideh, E., Dadgarmoghaddam, M. Changes in Airway Dimensions After Face Mask Therapy in Cleft Lip and Palate and Non-cleft Patients: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Iranian Journal of Orthodontics, 2020; 15(1): 1-13. doi: 10.5812/ijo.113740.
- Coppelson K, Summersgill I, Hatcher D, Nguyen G, Pada H, Stewart H, Herre T, Hansen M, Zaghi S. Does Head and Neck Posture Affect Cone-Beam Computed Tomography Assessment of the Upper Airway? J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2023 Jun;81(6):721-733. doi: 10.1016/j.joms.2023.01.016. Epub 2023 Feb 23. PMID: 36841260.
- Chand K, Jacob S, Charles A. Assesment of changes in the sagittal pharyngeal airway dimensions post twin block therapy using polar planimeter. SRM J Res Dent Sci 2017;8:51-7.
- D. Sharples, A.L. Clutterbuck-James, M.J. Glover, M.S. Bennett, R. Chadwick, M.A. Pittman, T.G. Quinnell, Meta analysis of randomised controlled trials of oral mandibular advancement devices and continuous positive airway pressure for obstructive sleep apnoea-hypopnoea, Sleep. Med. Rev. 27 (2016) 41e42.
- Serra-Torres, C. Bellot-Arcis, J.M. Montiel-Company, J. Marco-Algarra, J.M. Almerich-Silla, Effectiveness of mandibular advancement appliances in treating obstructive sleep apnea syndrome: a systematic review, Laryngoscope 126 (2016) 507e514.
- C. Fairburn, P.D. Waite, G. Vilos, S.M. Harding, W. Bernreuter, J. Cure, S. Cherala, Three-dimensional changes in upper airways of patients with obstructive sleep apnea following maxillomandibular advancement, J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 65 (2007) 6e12.
- Proffit WR, Fields HW. Contemporary Orthodontics. St. Louis: Mosby; 2000.
- Kharbanda OP. Orthodontics: Diagnosis of & Management of Malocclusion & Dentofacial Deformities. second ed. New Delhi: Elsevier India; 2011.
- Baccetti T, Franchi L, Toth LR, McNamara Jr JA. Treatment timing for Twin block therapy. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2000 Aug;118(2):159–170.
- Faltin KJ, Faltin RM, Baccetti T, Franchi L, Ghiozzi B, McNamara Jr JA. Long-term effectiveness and treatment timing for Bionator therapy. Angle Orthod. 2003 Jun; 73(3):221–230.
- Somaskandhan A, Suresh KP, Boovaraghavan S, Vijayalakshmi D. Management of Skeletal Class-II Malocclusion Using Advansync 2: A Case Series. Medico-legal Update. 2020 Oct 1;20(4).
- Hourfar J, Kinzinger GSM, Feifel H, Vehr VM, Lisson JA. Effects of combined orthodontic-orthognathic treatment for class II and III correction on posterior airway space : Comparison of mono- and bignathic osteotomies. J Orofac Orthop. 2017 Nov;78(6):455-465. English. doi: 10.1007/s00056-017-0101-5. Epub 2017 Jun 28. PMID: 28660420.
- Xiang M, Hu B, Liu Y, Sun J, Song J. Changes in airway dimensions following functional appliances in growing patients with skeletal class II malocclusion: A systematic review and meta-analysis. International journal of pediatric otorhinolaryngology. 2017 Jun 1;97:170-80.
- Jena AK, Singh SP, Utreja AK. Effectiveness of twin block and Mandibular Protraction Appliance-IV in the improvement of pharyngeal airway passage dimensions in Class II malocclusion subjects with a retrognathic mandible. Angle Orthod. 2013; 83(4):728–734.
- Shahi AK, Sharma P, Juneja A, Shetty D, Bhardwaj R, Jain S. Comparison of Advansync2® and twin block appliances in treatment of class II malocclusion with retrognathic mandible—an observational retrospective study. Journal of Indian Orthodontic Society. 2022 Jul;56(3):256-66.
- Yanyan M, Min Y, Xuemei G. Mandibular advancement appliances for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea in children: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Sleep Med. 2019 Aug;60:145–151.
- Ghaffar F, Jan A, Akhtar O, Mughal AT, Shahid R, Shafique HZ, Bibi K, Mehmood S, Afgan N, Zaheer R. Comparative Analysis of Dentoskeletal Changes of the Twin Block Appliance and the AdvanSync2 Appliance in Treatment of Skeletal Class-II Malocclusion in Pakistani Population: A Randomized Clinical Trial. European Journal of Dentistry. 2021 Dec 15;16(03):680-7.