Document Type : Original Article
Assistant Professor, Dental Research Center, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Orthodontic Assistant, Faculty of Dentistry, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences
Mashhad University of Medical Sciences
Resident, Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Aim: Considering that post-graduate residents are directly connected to the physical and mental health of diverse populations within society, evaluating and monitoring their mental health could improve the overall health level of societies. This study aimed to evaluate the mental health of post-graduate residents of the Mashhad Dental School in the academic year of 2019-2020.
Methods: This study was conducted as a descriptive-analytical investigation that involved distributing SCL-90 questionnaires among post-graduate residents at the Mashhad University of Medical Sciences. The questionnaires were provided in both paper and online formats. The mental health state of each participant was assessed based on the scores they received in four categories: no mental disorder (0-0.99), mild mental disorder (1-1.99), moderate mental disorder (2-2.99), and severe mental disorder (3-3.99). The collected data was analyzed using the Mann-Whitney and Kruskal-Wallis tests with the aid of the software SPSS (version 20).
Results: A total of 82 questionnaires were completed by the residents and analyzed. According to the total score, 29.3% (24 subjects) of the post-graduate residents reported having some degree of mental disorder: 28% (23 subjects) reported having a minor disorder, and 1.2% one subject) reported a moderate disorder, and no residents with serious disorders. The average score of mental disorder of the residents was 0.48±0.77. The SCL-90 dimension obsessive-compulsive was the highest at 48.8% and the dimension morbid fear was only 11%. In this study, no significant relationship was observed between any of the variables of marital status, major, or entry year with the total mental health score (P<0.05).
Conclusion: According to the results of the research, about one-third of the specialty residents of the Mashhad Dental School suffer from some kind of mental disorder.
- Harrison L, Sharma N, Irfan O, Zaman M, Vaivada T, Bhutta ZA. Mental health and positive development prevention interventions: overview of systematic reviews.Pediatrics. 2022;149(6):e2021053852G. doi: 10.1542/peds.2021 053852G. PMID: 35503329.
- Auerbach RP, Mortier P, Bruffaerts R, Alonso J, Benjet C, Cuijpers P, et al. Mental disorder comorbidity and suicidal thoughts and behaviors in the world health organization world mental health surveys international college student initiative. Int J Methods Psychiatr Res. 2019;28:(2):e1752. doi: 10.1002/mpr. 1752. PMID: 30450753.
- Fisher M, Newton C, Sainsbury E. Mental health social work observed. Routledge; 2021.
- Wren-Lewis S, Alexandrova A. Mental health without wellbeing. InThe Journal of Medicine and Philosophy: A Forum for Bioethics and Philosophy of Medicine; 2021.
- Ganji F, Khani F, Karimi Z, Rabiei L. Effect of assertiveness program on the drug use tendency, mental health, and quality of life in clinical students of Shahrekord University of Medical Sciences. J Educ Health Promot. 2022; 11: 48. doi: 10.4103/jehp. jehp_107_21. PMID: 35372608.
- Gilavand A, Mehralizadeh Y, Hosseinpour M, Torabipour A. A Review on Pathology of the integration of medical education system with health services at iran's ministry of health and medical education. FMEJ. 2018;8(3):47-56. doi: 10.22038/ FMEJ.2018.33896.1218.
- Pouresmaeil M, Abbas J, Solhi M, Ziapour A, Fattahi E. Prioritizing health promotion lifestyle domains in students of Qazvin University of Medical Sciences from the students and professors' perspective. J Educ Health Promot. 2019;8:228. doi: 10.4103/jehp. jehp_250_19. PMID: 31867392.
- Akbari M, Nejat A, Dastorani S, Rouhani A. Evaluation of stress level and related factors among students of Mashhad Dental School (Iran) in academic year of 2008-2009. JMDS. 2011;35(3):165-76. doi: 10.22038/ JMDS.2011.956.
- Orsini CA, Binnie VI, Tricio JA. Orsini CA, Binnie VI, Tricio JA. Motivational profiles and their relationships with basic psychological needs, academic performance, study strategies, self-esteem, and vitality in dental students in Chile. J Educ Eval Health Prof. 2018;15:11. doi: 10.3352/jeehp.2018.15.11. PMID: 29689689.
- Kernan WD. Health-related impediments to learning among dental and oral surgery students. J Prev Interv Community. 2019;47(1):32-44. doi: 10.1080/1085 2352.2018.1547307. PMID: 30806191.
- Derogatis LR. Symptom Checklist-90-Revised, Brief Symptom Inventory, and SCL–90–R, Handbook of psychological assessment in primary care settings: Routledge/Taylor & Francis Group; 2017.
- Vallejo MA, Jordán CM, Díaz MI, Comeche MI, Ortega J. Psychological assessment via the internet: a reliability and validity study of online (vs paper-andpencil) versions of the General Health Questionnaire28 (GHQ-28) and the symptoms Check-List-90- Revised (SCL-90-L). J Med Internet Res. 2007;9(1):e2. doi: 10.2196/jmir.9.1.e2. PMID: 17478411. doi: 10.1177/1028315318773137.
- Jessee SA, O'Neill PN, Dosch RO. Matching student personality types and learning preferences to teaching methodologies. J Dent Educ.2006;70(6): 644-51. PMID: 16741132.
- Ammigan R, Jones E. Improving the student experience: Learning from a comparative study of international student satisfaction. J Stud Int Educ. 2018;22(4):283-301.
- Quick KK, Overman PR, Sposetti VJ. Identifying needs to ensure a humanistic academic dental environment: A multi‐site survey of dental students’ perspectives. J Dent Educ. 2018;82(11):1162-70 . doi: 10.21815/JDE.018.120.
- Sedighi E, Bidaki R, Meidani A, Ahmadinia H, Rezaeian M. Mental health status in medical students of Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences in 2016. JRUMS. 2018;17(7):669-80.
- Tabrizizadeh M, Yasini Ardakani SM, Rostamzade P, Zare M. The Mental Health Status of Students of Medicine and Dentistry A Study in Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences Yazd Iran. SDME. 2013;9(2):153-61.
- Nafarzadeh S. Evaluation of stress level and its related factors in dentistry students of Babol university of medical sciences (2013-2014). J Babol Univ Med. 2013;16(12):48-53. doi: 10.18869/acadpub.jbums. 16.12.48.
- Saatchi M, Mazaheri H, Ebadian B, Ghassemi F, Najafi M, Binandeh ES. Stress and burnout among postgraduate students in Isfahan Dental School in 2014-2015 educational year. JIDS. 2017;13(1):12-20.
- Hassan NC. Depression, anxiety and stress among postgraduate students in faculty of education of a public university in Malaysia. Malaysian J Med Health Sci. 2019;15(101):90-5.
- Wei Y, Li H, Wang H, Zhang S, Sun Y. Psychological status of volunteers in a Phase I clinical trial assessed by Symptom Checklist 90 (SCL-90) and Eysenck Personality Questionnaire (EPQ). Med Sci Monit. 2018;24:4968-73. doi: 10.12659/MSM.909524. PMID: 30015333.
- Ajmal M, Ibrahim L, Mohammed N, Al-Qarni H. Prevalence and psychological stress in recurrent aphthous stomatitis among female dental students in Saudi Arabia. Clujul Med. 2018;91(2):216-21. doi: 10.15386/cjmed-840. PMID: 29785161.
- Bahreynian A, Ghasemi Borumand M. Mental health in resident students of two dormitory of Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences. Teb va Tazkieh. 2002;14(43):65-75.
- Taziki SA, Besharat S, Rabiee MR. Evaluation of mental disorders’ symptoms in students of Golestan University of Medical Sciences by SCL-90-R questionnaire. J Gorgan Univ Med Sci. 2005;7(1):72-4.
- Poots A, Cassidy T. Academic expectation, selfcompassion, psychological capital, social support and student wellbeing. Int J Educ Res. 2020;99:101506 . doi: 10.1016/j.ijer.2019.101506.
- Graner KM, Abreu Ramos Cerqueira AT. Integrative review: psychological distress among university students and correlated factors. Cien Saude Colet. 2019;24(4):1327-46. doi: 10.1590/1413-812320 18244.09692017. PMID: 31066836.
- Divaris K, Mafla AC, Villa-Torres L, Sánchez-Molina M, Gallego-Gómez CL, Vélez-Jaramillo LF, et al. Psychological distress and its correlates among dental students: a survey of 17 Colombian dental schools. BMC Med Educ. 2013;13(1):1-12. doi: 10.1186/1472-6920-13-91. PMID: 23802917.
- Graner KM, Moraes AB, Torres AR, Lima MC, Rolim GS, Ramos-Cerqueira AT. Prevalence and correlates of common mental disorders among dental students in Brazil. PloS One. 2018;13(9):e0204558. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0204558. PMID: 30261025.
- Costa EF, Rocha MM, Santos AT, Melo EV, Martins LA, Andrade TM. Common mental disorders and associated factors among final-year healthcare students. Rev Assoc Med Bras. 2014;60(6):525-30. doi: 10.1590/1806 9282.60.06.009. PMID: 25650851.
- Dachew BA, Azale Bisetegn T, Berhe Gebremariam R. Prevalence of mental distress and associated factors among undergraduate students of University of Gondar, Northwest Ethiopia: a cross-sectional institutional based study. Plos One. 2015;10(3):e0119464 . doi: 10.1371/ journal.pone.0119464. PMID: 25794278.
- Ghafoor S, Chaudhry S, Khan JS. Marital status as a stress indicator in postgraduate dental students. J Pak Med Assoc. 2020;70(1):158-61. doi: 10.5455/JPMA. 4571. PMID: 31954044.
- Fonseca-Molina J, Torres-Martínez PA, Barrios-Penna CA, Calbacho-Contreras V, Aguirre-Bustamante JP, Fernández-Sagredo M, et al. A longitudinal study on stress sources perceived by Chilean dental students. Rev Fac Med. 2018;66(1):69-74. doi: 10.15446/ revfacmed.v66n1.61324.
- Yarmohammadi S, Amirsardari M, Akbarzadeh A, Sepidarkish M, Hashemian AH. Evaluating the relationship of anxiety, stress and depression with sleep quality of students residing at the dormitories of Tehran university of medical sciences in 2013. World J Med Sci. 2014;11:432-8 . doi: 10.5829/idosi. wjms.2014.11.4.84272.
- Hadavi M, Yazdani M, Khodadadi A, Hashemi Z, Aminzadeh F. Comparison of the Mental Health Status of First-and last-year students of Nursing, Midwifery and Paramedical Faculty of Rafsanjan based on SCL90 in 2012. JRUMS. 2014;13(6):549-60 18244.09692017. PMID: 31066836.