Document Type : Original Article
Associate Professor, Dental Materials Research Center, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran Professor, Department of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Professor, Department of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Dentist, Private Office, Mashhad, Iran
Assistant Professor, Department of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, Lorestan University of Medical Sciences, Khorramabad, Iran
Aim: The purpose of the present study was to evaluate the accuracy of Dolphin Imaging version 11.8 software, in predicting soft and hard tissue changes after orthognathic jaw surgery.
Methods: In this retrospective study, pre- and postoperative cephalograms and photographs of 20 patients were scanned and inserted into Dolphin Imaging version 11.8 software and traced by the software. Cephalometric superimposition was performed before and after the operation to determine the extent of changes in each jaw. The software then simulated postoperative images according to the calculated changes for each patient.
Results: The results of this study showed that the upper lip had the highest accuracy in both sagittal and vertical axes. The highest reliability was in the upper lip with 80% error in the sagittal axis and the tip of the nose with 80% error in the vertical axis. The lowest accuracy in our study was related to soft tissue Menton which had the least reliability with an error frequency of 35% and 45% in the sagittal and vertical axis, respectively.
Conclusion: Based on the method used and the findings obtained by digital measurements, it can be concluded that the Dolphin Imaging version 11.8 software can be used to reliably predict hard tissue as well as soft tissue, especially in the upper lip area.
- Kaipatur NR, Flores-Mir C. Accuracy of computer programs in predicting orthognathic surgery soft tissue response. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2009; 67(4):751-9. doi: 10.1016/j.joms.2008.11.006. PMID: 19304030.
- Magro-Filho O, Magro-Érnica N, Queiroz TP, Aranega AM, Garcia Jr IR. Comparative study of 2 software programs for predicting profile changes in Class III patients having double-jaw orthognathic surgery. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2010;137(4):452-3. doi: 10.1016/j.ajodo.2009.02.027. PMID: 20362896.
- Chew MT, Koh CH, Sandham A, Wong HB. Subjective evaluation of the accuracy of video imaging prediction following orthognathic surgery in Chinese patients. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2008;66(2):291-6. doi: 10.1016/j.joms.2007.06.629. PMID: 18201611.
- De Riu G, Virdis PI, Meloni SM, Lumbau A, Vaira LA. Accuracy of computer-assisted orthognathic surgery. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2018;46:293-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jcms.2017.11.023. PMID: 29275075.
- Sarver DM, Johnston MW, Matukas VJ. Video imaging for planning and counseling in orthognathic surgery. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1998;46(11):939-945. doi: 10.1016/0278-2391(88)90330-8. PMID: 3183807.
- Pereira C: O futuro da Odontologia-Parte V. Na era da informática História da informática na Odontologia Rev ABO Nacional 17, 2008.
- Paixão MB, Sobral MC, Vogel CJ, de Araujo TM. Comparative study between manual and digital cephalometric tracing using Dolphin Imaging software with lateral radiographs. Dental Press J Orthod . 2010;15(6):123-130.
- Smith JD, Thomas PM, Proffit WR. A comparison of current prediction imaging programs. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2004;125(5):527-36. doi: 10.1016/S0889540604001210. PMID: 15127020.
- Power G, Breckon J, Sherriff M, McDonald F. Dolphin Imaging Software: an analysis of the accuracy of cephalometric digitization and orthognathic prediction. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2005;34(6):619- 26. doi: 10.1016/j.ijom.2005.04.003. PMID: 15916879.
- Akhoundi MA, Shirani G, Arshad M, Heidar H, Sodagar A. Comparison of an imaging software and manual prediction of soft tissue changes after orthognathic surgery. Front Dent. 2012;9(3):178-87.
- Peterman RJ, Jiang S, Johe R, Mukherjee PM. Accuracy of Dolphin visual treatment objective (VTO) prediction software on class III patients treated with maxillary advancement and mandibular setback. Prog Orthod. 2016;17(1):1-9. doi: 10.1186/s40510-016- 0132-2. PMID: 27312722.
- Pektas ZO, Kircelli BH, Cilasun Ü, Uckan S. The accuracy of computer‐assisted surgical planning in soft tissue prediction following orthognathic surgery. Int J Med Robot. 2007;3:64-71. PMID: 17441028.
- Lu CH, Ko EW-C, Huang CS. The accuracy of video imaging prediction in soft tissue outcome after bimaxillary orthognathic surgery. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2003;61:333-42. doi: 10.1053/joms.2003.50058. PMID: 12618973.
- Konstiantos KA, O'Reilly MT, Close J. The validity of the prediction of soft tissue profile changes after LeFort I osteotomy using the dentofacial planner (computer software). Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1994;105(3):241-9. doi: 10.1016/S0889- 5406(94)70117-2. PMID: 8135206.
- Syliangco ST, Sameshima GT, Kaminishi RM, Sinclair PM. Predicting soft tissue changes in mandibular advancement surgery: a comparison of two video imaging systems. Angle Orthod. 1997;67(5):337-46. doi: 10.1043/0003 3219(1997)067<0337:PSTCIM>2.3.CO;2. PMID: 9347107.
- Sameshima GT, Kawakami RK, Kaminishi RM, Sinclair PM. Predicting soft tissue changes in maxillary impaction surgery: a comparison of two video imaging systems. Angle Orthod. 1997;67(5):347-54. doi: 10.1043/0003 3219(1997)067<0347:PSTCIM> 2.3.CO;2. PMID: 9347108.
- Kazandjian S, Sameshima GT, Champlin T, Sinclair PM. Accuracy of video imaging for predicting the soft tissue profile after mandibular set-back surgery. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1999;115(4):382-9. doi: 10.1016/s0889 5406(99)70256-8. PMID: 10194281.
- Gossett CB, Preston CB, Dunford R, Lampasso J. Prediction accuracy of computer-assisted surgical visual treatment objectives as compared with conventional visual treatment objectives. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2005;63(5):609-17. doi: 10.1016/j.joms.2005.01.004. PMID: 15883933.
- Upton PM, Sadowsky PL, Sarver DM, Heaven TJ. Evaluation of video imaging prediction in combined maxillary and mandibular orthognathic surgery. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1997;112(6):656-65. doi: 10.1016/s0889 5406(97)70231-2. PMID: 9423698.